Saturday, June 20, 2009

My Life in Ruins - 2.5 out of 4 Stars

Who Would Love This Movie: Folks who liked My Big Fat Greek Wedding, someone looking for some scenic shots of Grecian ruins

Best Mood to Walk In With: Ready to laugh and ready to let out a few "Awwwww"s

Don't See This Movie If: You don't want an atypical, predictable rom com


I'll be honest, I didn't have very high expectations of this movie. However, I was pleasantly surprised. Although the plot was not very realistic, the movie was filled with moments of laughter and cuteness.

Nia Vardalos is a bit more grating on the nerves than she was in My Big Fat Greek Wedding, though I'm not sure if it is because of her acting or because her character is whiny and pessimistic. Also, Alexis Georgoulis as the male "lead" of Poupi is overshadowed by Richard Dreyfuss's tender portrayal of Irv. To be honest, Dreyfuss is the main reason to watch the flick if you're looking for characterization, though there are some fun moments in the movie between the two main characters.

Keep Your EARS Closed For: The monologues of complaints from Georgia
Keep Your Eyes Open For: The scenic backgrounds of the tour

All in all, My Life in Ruins is probably the best rom com out right now, though it is more comedy than romance since it's difficult to fall in love with the characters. If you're looking for a run of the mill romantic comedy, this will suffice, but if you're wanting one of the more touching love stories, I suggest Blockbuster.

Movies Are Life. ~K

No comments:

Post a Comment