Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Bruno - 2.5 out of 4 Stars

Who Would Love This Movie: People who don't mind crude, vulgar, or extremely sexual humor

Best Mood to Walk In With: Not easily offended

Don't See This Movie If: You don't like seeing swinging penises or facsimiles of penises or you feel uncomfortable concerning gay or S&M references


To put this simply, most of you probably already know if you're going to like Bruno or not. Although I haven't seen Borat (I know, I know), I have seen The Ali G Show. Basically, imagine the funny, yet censored show on crack and amp up the offensiveness to 1,000,000%. Basically if you get offended by almost anything, don't go see this movie.

Now before I talk about Sasha Baron Cohen, who carried this movie as the primary actor, writer, producer, and musician, I want to tell you why I guiltily enjoyed this movie. As highly inappropriate things would happen, I fell into the cycle of laughing, laughing harder, and then feeling shame for having laughed. The first burst of giggles was usually out of shock at seeing something like Bruno shoving a bottle of champagne up the butt of a pygmy man or making a joke about South Koreans and North Koreans coming together, because they're "both basically Chinese anyway." Then I would really start laughing as I saw how cleverly Cohen was portraying and making fun of ignorant people. However, in the end I felt guilty for laughing, because for every one person who understood the foundation of social satire, there are 10 more people who are laughing because they truly believe the stereotypes he is portraying.

Truly, whether or not you approve of Cohen's material, there is no denying his immense talent with comedic timing and improvisation. He is incredibly skilled at exploiting people's ignorance for laughs. At times, I felt bad for the oblivious folks he was obviously skewering with his wit. More than just writing the screenplay and producing the movie, I was impressed that Cohen also wrote the score for the movie. Specifically, the ending song proved much more than a musical feat, because somehow Cohen recruited Bono, Elton John, Slash, Snoop Dog, and Sting to perform with him. How he did that, I have no clue, but a "We Are The World" song was a strange way to end the crudest, most offensive movie I have ever seen.

Keep Your Eyes Closed For: The sex montage between Bruno and his Pygmy flight attendant boyfriend
Keep Your Eyes Open For: The wrestling scene is pretty funny

Overall, I will leave you with a comparison from someone who I trust and who saw both Bruno and Borat. This person said that Bruno was less clever and much more vulgar and offensive than Borat. If you can handle that, you will definitely enjoy this movie. But if you are a bit more socially conscious, you will probably want to skip out on Bruno and just wait til next Wednesday for Harry Potter. ;)

Movies Are Life. ~ K

No comments:

Post a Comment