Friday, October 30, 2009

But I'm a Cheerleader (on DVD) - 2.5 out of 4.0 Stars

Who Would Love This Movie: People who like social satire and don't mind clumsy filmmaking

Best Mood to Walk In With: Prepared for the mixing of both cynical and heartfelt humor

Don't See This Movie If: Clever humor is not enough for you to deal with trite, predictable storylines


But I'm a Cheerleader is not a bad movie if you like campy-ness and are in an easygoing mood. Folks who tend to be critical of indies not being as good as Hollywood should probably not see this movie.

Basically the premise is that a cheerleader is suspected of being a lesbian, and after being shipped off to gay camp discovers that everyone else was correct. Although not a fairy tale by any means, the storyline is as predictable as one and the acting is flat. However, there are moments of humor that kept me watching.

Keep Your Eyes Closed For: The awful use of stereotypes
Keep Your Eyes Open For: The surprise scene after the credits start rolling.

To be honest, I have little to say about this film, because everything was pretty mediocre. I didn't love it, I didn't hate it. All in all, But I'm a Cheerleader is not awful, but I wouldn't spend money on it. Try catching it on TBS or HBO on Demand if you feel the need to see it.

Movies Are Life. ~ K



No comments:

Post a Comment