Monday, August 10, 2009

(500) Days of Summer - 3.5 out of 4.0 Stars

Who Would Love This Movie: Folks who don't need a formulaic movie happy ending

Best Mood to Walk In With: Peaceful

Don't See This Movie If: You're looking for a traditional rom-com


Just as the tagline says, (500) Days of Summer is a story about love, not a love story. And because of that, it is believable, relatable, and a story most people can identify with. In fact, the line that struck me the most as I watched the movie was when the manager of a greeting card company said, "Just because I didn't write it, doesn't make it any less the truth." I felt that way about this entire film.

Zooey Deschanel has finally found the perfect conduit for her talent. (Not that The Happening wasn't great and all. GAG!) She is charmingly off beat and the cinematographer perfectly captures her beauty. It was just as easy for me to fall in love with her as Summer as it is for Tom, played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt. And while Deschanel steals the show, Gordon-Levitt proves himself to be back in action with a great performance as well. Although he was alright in G.I. Joe, (500) Days of Summer is a much better vehicle for him to showcase his talent. Don't believe me, check out the look on his face as he and Summer sit on a bench and she covers his hand with her hand with the engagement and wedding rings on it. Immediate emotion that everyone can identify with.

Although a friend thought the film was too formulaic, I would disagree. Perhaps for an "indie" film it is much more predictable than most, but among rom coms like The Proposal and The Ugly Truth it is very uniquely enchanting. And although normally I do not like movies that go back and forth amongst time with subtitles letting you know exactly what moment of time you're entering, I really enjoyed the way this film was pieced together. There were many moments you where you saw the effect first and the cause later, and it made for a much better form of telling this very human story.

Keep Your Eyes Closed For: Disaster blind date...so uncomfortably awkward
Keep Your Eyes Open For: Hilariously awkward scene when Summer asks Tom if he needs anything from the supply closet

All in all, (500) Days of Summer is tender and lovely, and a film unlike any other released this summer so far. I believe almost everyone would like it, which is more than I can say about other films I've reviewed. Definitely worth your $10 if you're only seeing one movie.

Movies Are Life. ~ K

No comments:

Post a Comment